fredag 4 juli 2014

The Golden Temple: thoughts about beauty

Today I visited Kinkaku-ji, one of Kyoto’s most famous temples and one of the sights I was the most interested in, since I’ve read about it in Mishima Yukio’s novel, The Temple of the Golden Pavilion.

Everything is set up for high expectations. Mishima, probably the formost aestethician I know of, has written a book about the perceived beauty of the Golden temple. The guidebook warns that the Kinkaku-ji is almost always crowded, so better go either early or late; and when I arrive there is already quite a crowd, that only grows during the time I spend there.

The beauty of the Kinkaku-ji was already fabled when it accrued a tragic air in 1950, when the centerpice of the temple, the golden pavilion, was burned to the ground by a young monk.

The temple was rebuilt into an (almost) exact replica of itself, while the story of the obsessed monk was turned into the novel by Mishima, who uses the story to discuss the impression of beauty on a human mind.



Beauty. I’ll need a defintion. How about this: that which pleases me aesthetically is considered beautiful by me. It will have to do.

I look at the temple. Is it beautiful? As usual, instead of a straight answer, ramblings of what long-dead philosophers might have said flicker through my brain.

Plato: It is beautiful if it has any part of the idea of beauty in it (I don’t know how this is supposed to help).

Aristotle: Beauty is a result of function. If the temple serves its purpose well, whatever that purpose may be, then it is correct to call it beautiful, at least in relation to that purpose.

Well, you see how it is. Luckily, more gifted people than myself have handled this issue. In Mishima’s novel, the role of the temple in the mind of the protagonist Mizoguchi, is formed by his father, who tells him storeis about the temple’s fabled beauty. Mizoguchi imagines this beautiful temple. Then, after a while, he gets to actually see the temple for real:

”The Golden Temple cast a perfect shadow on the surface of the pond, where the duckweed and the leaves from water plants were floating. The shadow was more beautiful than the building itself /.../
Well, what do you think? said Father. It’s beautiful, isn’t it? /.../
I Changed my angle of vision a few times and bent my head in various directions. But the temple aroused no emotion within me. It was merely a small, dark, old, three-storied building. The phoenix on top of the roof looked like a crow that had alighted there for a rest. Not only did the building fail to strike me as beautiful, but I even had a sense of disharmony and restlessness. Could beauty, I wondered, be as unbeautiful a thing as this.” (Chapter 1)

Mizoguchi had already formed an idealized notion of the temple, one which the real temple could not possibly compete with. This, his subjective idea of the temple, comes to interpose itself between Mizoguchi and the temple. After that first view, he seems to deny that mundane reality, to shrink back from it, and hides in the idealized beauty of the temple in his mind.

This pattern of thinking has a terrible cost though, for the temple interposes itself between Mizoguchi and all possible expressions of beauty:

”Finally, I slipped my hand up the girl’s skirt. Then the Golden Temple appeared before me. /.../ Inasmuch as the girl had been rejected by the Golden Temple, my efforts at finding life, too, were rejected. How could I possibly stretch out my hands towards life when I was so enwrapped in beauty?” (Chapter 5)

Thus his final act of burning the temple down is an attempt to regain control of his life, an attempt to connect to the world around him. For that to have any chance of success, the temple must be destroyed.

As for my stance, I do not believe in ”pure” beauty. The temple in itself, referring to the building that was burned down, is not in itself beautiful. I agree that it is well-crafted, just as a person may be good-looking, but that is not in itself beauty. For anything to transcend to beauty,  context is needed.

For a person to be beautiful, the necessary context would be his/her thoughts, acts and personal traits. For a building such as the golden temple, the most immediate context is its surroundings, the features of the site: the pond, the islands, the trees.  In my view, this means that the temple building cannot be beautiful on its own: its beauty is not inherent, it’s contextual. This view seems to be at least discreetly acknowledged by Mishima in the chapter 1 quote above, where Mizoguchi notices that ”the shadow was more beautiful than the building itself”.



Since beauty is contextual, Mizoguchi’s efforts to destroy the beauty of the golden temple seem futile: he cannot destroy the beauty by just burning down the temple. In the end, he seems to realize this, but he is driven on by his own existential fatalism:

”One part of my mind kept telling me that it was now futile to perform this deed, but my new-found strength had no fear of futility. I must do the deed precisely because it was so futile.” (chapter 10)

One might add that once Mizoguchi decides on his course of action, he is in a way free: the temple no longer oppresses him, and he can function sexually. Thus his personal, psychological reasons for destroying the temple have also been removed at this point.

Of course, Mizoguchi could not have destroyed the beauty of the temple even if he had also managed to destroy the surroundings: the history and mythology of the temple is also part of the context that gives the temple its beauty. Ironically then, by burning down the golden pavillion, Mizoguchi actually enhanced its beauty. The modern visitors may marvel at the reconstructed building, while also reflecting upon the loss of the original. This poignancy adds to the beauty of the site.  






 (Could this be the face of the next crazy person to try to burn the temple? Only time will tell.)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar