onsdag 8 juli 2015

Shades of history

I've been trying to get some insights into Korean history as presented in their museums and so on. My success has been variable. While I located the massive National museum of Korea, it only focused on ancient history, with little to be explicitly said about 20th century history, and WW2 in particular.

I also found the National museum of contemporary history, but it focused mostly on the Korean war, as did the War Memorial, mainly only discussing the WW2 period as "shameful" (because of Korea being colonized by Japan).

But I did at least find one thing that hit me like a punch in the gut: the memorial to Korean "comfort women". It was created in 2011, and reminds everyone of the war crimes of Japan. Especially the Japanese, since the memorial is right across the street from the Japanese embassy.

And for those of you who don't know: approximately 200 000 Korean girls were forcibly recruited as "comfort women" during WW2. And to make the subtext text: that's sexual slavery. Of them, only about 10% returned to Korea after the war.

I think this memorial is one of the most powerful I've seen, but you make your own call.





Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar